Friday, January 11, 2008

2007 Retrospective

Here's a fun way to evaluate the past year...

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
Fell in love.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I kept some. More like goals… or ‘do it already – what are you waiting for’ type things. I finally tackled one of the two spendy dental issues. And my main resolution – finding a boyfriend worked really well. I met him in February!!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes. My friend Kelly had her second, a girl. And my friend Mo – the same. (they each had a boy already)
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. But my boyfriend’s dad died, I had never met him. I wish I could have met him.
5. What countries did you visit?
I didn’t leave the country at all. In fact, I’ve only left the country once and that was for Jamaica!
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
A fiancé.
7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 17th. Our first date. And I don’t know the specific date… but the week before my birthday/Father’s day – that’s when Mr. Burns’ dad died. It really changed him. Also December 17th, my dear friend’s wedding day!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Wow. I don’t feel like I accomplished any one significant thing. Does discovering that I can curl my own hair and make it look cute with relative ease count?
9. What was your biggest failure?
Work. My contract ended, and they’re not offering any more contracts. Now I’m trying to figure out what do with my life.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Well, I had one nasty sinus infection for Easter. Man, that feels like death! And I had a significant problem with my hip. It has really limited my mobility. But the more exercise I get, the better it is.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new living room rug. I found the perfect cream colored, 8x10 shag carpet for just $200. I rock! The other great purchase was a darling jersey knit cocktail dress for $40! I bought it the weekend after my contract ended so it felt a little splurgy. It looks fabulous. I wore it New Years Eve.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Mine and Mr. Burns’ for maintaining our celibacy/ abstinence while being so crazy about each other!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Yeah, I have to agree with Glossy Veneer – celebrities who don’t know how to behave, and the media for paying too much attention to them.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Safeway – grocery store. To my dentist, my chiropractor, and my mechanic. And to Safelite Auto Glass. When I finally replaced the cracked windshield that I had put off for more than a year – I got nailed with rocks a few weeks later and paid them more money to fill the chips.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The engagements and ensuing weddings of two very dear friends. I spent more time on wedding sites and blog than the two of them combined!!
16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
"Suddenly I See” by KT Tunstall
“This Ain’t a Scene, It’s an Arms Race” by Fall Out Boy
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:? a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier, thinner, poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercise. And I haven't skied in two years now... gotta get up the hill.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Not working.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Alone with Mr. Burns. We went to Midnight Mass – after listening to my parents and my brother’s family (including my fabulous nieces and adorable nephew) singing Silent Night over the phone! Then Christmas morning, he gave me a gift and we spent the day eating honey baked ham and garlic mashed potatoes, watching movies and watching the snow fall.
21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
You bet I did!! See #1
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Hmm. I was big on LOST, I really like Medium even if I miss it more often than I see it. Grey’s Anatomy and Biggest Loser!
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No.
24. What was the best book you read?
I didn’t do a lot of reading. But Mr. Burns gave me Captivating to read and I like it.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Sara Bareilles – she has a great sound, similar to Aslyn, my musical discovery of 2006!!
And also, that I don’t listen to enough classic rock. Everything Mr. Burns plays, I remember and love, but I haven’t heard in years!!
26. What did you want and get?
A boyfriend.
27. What did you want and not get?
A fiancé.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
The only thing I saw in the theatre this year was “The Simpson’s Movie”. But we rented “Amistad” and I absolutely LOVE it! Great movie. Must see.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 37 on Father’s day. I had planned to have a simple day with Mr. Burns. But his dad died a few days earlier and he was away. I ended up having my birthday alone – which was good. One friend was going to come over and celebrate with me… but the prospect sounded less and less relaxing (she suggested that I make a meal and she’d bring the cake and the wine. But if you know me at all… you’d know that cooking is the VERY LAST thing I would do on my birthday!!!) I ended up telling her that I’d rather spend the day alone. And I did.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Finding a job that I love and loves me back!!!
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
I decided to buy fewer clothes… but to spend more on the things that I do buy – in terms of quality and little bit of couture.
32. What kept you sane?
My faith in God.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Still John Cusack.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Illegal immigration. It’s so hard to know the right answers. I’m reminded of my immigrant Grandmother and her family who came here in early 1900s. They spoke German at home and sometimes at school she would slip into German and would be teased mercilessly by the other children, and chastised heartily by her teacher. But now everyone expects America to learn Spanish so that the immigrants don’t have to adapt! That really bothers me. Not to mention the idea that illegal immigrants could end up with more dollars toward college than my nieces and nephew would have.
I also know that trying to immigrate LEGALLY is dang near impossible to accomplish, even with the best of intentions.
35. Who did you miss?
My family. I went home for a week in September so that was good. But I had Christmas without them. I wish they were closer.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Besides Mr. Burns – Sophia at my part-time job. She’s one of those people that you just know God placed in your life for a reason! That an Iranian woman and girl from Nebraska could meet in Denver and have so much in common is remarkable – a miracle!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
My part-time job at the photography studio taught me that my real passion and talent is photography. Apparently, I should have listened to my 13 year old self who wanted to be a photographer. I could have avoided my television career all together!
The same job also taught me that I AM good with kids!
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
From Suddenly I See – KT Tunstall”Everything around her is a silver pool of light. The people who surround her feel the benefit of it, it makes you calm. She holds you captivated in her palm.”
This line always reminds me of my friend Kimberly. She is grace, and elegance and love in one fabulous red-headed package. On her wedding day, after her hair and makeup were done, we were walking to the car so she could get to the church. I looked at beautiful her and started singing that lyric. She turned to me and sternly said, “Don’t make us cry! There will be no crying.”

No comments:

Post a Comment