Friday, April 04, 2008

Life Checklist

I got the itch about a month ago to purge more stuff from my closets. I decided to weed through some boxes of paperwork and clippings.

In one of the boxes I found a list in my own handwriting.
It has no title but after a brief review it's plain to see it was a list of things to accomplish, to do more, or to try something new. I'm not sure when I composed the list, but judging from it's contents it must have been prior to the year 2000.
  • Study Spanish
  • Travel
  • Gym
  • Biking
  • Roller blading
  • Sewing
  • Teaching a CCD class
  • Throw parties
  • Study a Martial Art
  • Gymnastics
  • Ice Skating
  • Have a kid anyway
  • Become a consultant
  • Buy & Use a real camera
  • Play Tennis
  • Freelance Writing
I can check five entries on the list. Should I be pleased or bummed?

It really blew my mind to find this list and realize what is still important to me, what I've accomplished, what doesn't matter any more.

I hope you find a list. Barring that, make one now!
When you find it a few years from now you'll present yourself with a great perspective to view your life!

Read on for progress details if you're interested:

I studied Spanish in College but never really took to it. This is a reminder to give it another try.

Travel. Success in this department. In fact, I get partial credit for Freelancing as well. A couple years ago I started a job contracting with a production company as a Field Producer. They sent me all over the country and I wrote for about 1/3 of them. I think I knocked out visiting 16 different states (that I'd never traveled to before) in that job. Still haven't left the country though - unless Jamaica counts.

Next, I have joined a gym, three in fact since then. I'm off the wagon at the moment.

I also started to bike more, though not much. When I first started dating Mr. Burns, he took me on my first lengthy bike ride in about 3 years. I must have been a little chicken since the spectacular bike crash in 2003. I managed to land on my chin, split it open AND break a tooth requiring my first crown and periodontal surgery! My chin needed 11 stiches!
(to the left >>- self portrait of my banged up body after the crash. Not that bad really. Since the major damage was to my teeth!!)

Mr. Burns took me on a pretty easy, paved trail, and at one point I said, "This is probably a good place to turn around." He said, "aw, let's keep going." Oh crap! But when you're trying to impress a guy you like - injuries to delicate areas of your body be damned!!

I bought Roller Blades when I first moved to Denver, and very much enjoy it if I can drag myself to Wash Park!

Sewing. I've sewn since childhood so this was obviously an encouragement to do more of it. That comes in spurts because I'd really like to have an extra room dedicated to sewing projects.

I did teach a CCD class. I remember the church organizers thought I was crazy when I said I wanted the 16-year-olds!

I did start to throw more parties. I love entertaining! That's been put on hold in this period of unemployment. Wah!

Martial Arts and ice skating are on hold. I looked into a gymnastics class at a local college, since I did it for PE credit in my college years. Considering my age, they offered to have me come try out a class before I signed up. I'm pretty sure that's what led to the big hip blow out of 2007!! I didn't sign up.

Don't you love "Have a kid anyway"? Clearly I was frustrated by the lack of male prospects! I showed this to Mr. Burns and like a guy he asked, "What do you mean by 'anyway'?" That means without a man. I was nearly age 30 and there were no boyfriend/ husband prospects. If no one is going to show up, it doesn't mean the desire to be a mom goes away!

I think becoming a consultant is probably out the window. Darn. I hear it pays well and involves travel!

Buy and use a real camera.

I was refering to an SLR. I did finally save up and buy a digital SLR in 2006. I love my baby!! And since then some friends have asked me to photograph their weddings.


I'd like to eventually make a living with my photography. It is one thing that makes me very very happy and gives me feelings of accomplishment.

Play Tennis. Well, I took lessons when I was in college but never played a game. Last summer Mr. Burns tried to teach me, but my bad hip (see gymnastics) made it really tough. I feel better this year, we'll try again in the summer.

Freelance writing, see above.

No comments:

Post a Comment