Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Instant Results

Okay, okay. So I've been to the pool once; it's not yet time to talk about what a difference it's made in my life. But it has (though the twice daily stretching could also be the cause, or both). I have regained movement that I have lost when I injured my back in September.

In the interest of full disclosure, I figured this out when I went to wipe my butt just now. (DID I JUST ADMIT THAT FOR THE WORLD TO SEE???) It's been a difficult move with stiffness in my lower back, but just now it was much easier. I thought back to several other everyday tasks I've done today, and they too have been easier than they have been for some time.

Anyway, I'm actually cooped up with a cold right now. I started having symptoms after coming home from the pool last night, so I'm glad I went. It'll be a bummer not to get in my last 2 exercise times this very first week, but I hadn't planned on doing them until at least Friday anyway. I do have to be able to breathe out of my nose to swim, but assuming I'm no worse off than I am right now, I'll at least get in a walk or two.

Anyway, I know that my movement will continue to improve as I actually lose some weight and continue to gain flexibility and muscle. That's kinda my point!


Too funny! I was going to post on the same topic! Suppose I should just add to it here.
Seriously people! After only four days of just one hour of moderate yoga a day - I notice such a difference. That is very satisfying when most of us expect the results of our exercise to take months to show up!

What have I noticed, you ask?

For starters, I am a little lady with very tight muscles. The muscles in my shoulders and back have been tight for as long as I can remember. If someone offers to rub my shoulders - it is followed by an exclamation like "Holy Cow! You are full of knots!"
Combine that with the fact that I've been too poor for chiropractic visits or deep tissue massage and I assure you that I am a mess!

After just one hour of yoga on Saturday, my shoulders felt practically loose! After 4 days - I'm feeling movement in a lot of muscles. Yes, I'm a little sore, but that's preferable to a constant ache.

And since Ronnica got personal about wiping her butt - I'll get personal about my little boobies.

I am a flat-chested girl. You know what they say about a handful - well that's all there is.
In my younger years my itty bitty's were at least nice and firm and round and perky - but after 5 years of pathetic exercise efforts - let me tell you they have less substance than Jello. And I'll add, no longer round. It's embarrassing.

That was a major part of my incentive to get my muscle tone back. I'm back in the dating pool after all - and someday - God willing, I'll need those little girls to hold up a wedding gown!

Imagine my delight when after just four days of yoga - seriously, nothing else - not even a 2lb dumbbell - there is some muscle in my pectorals! Whoo hoo! What a surprise.

A real surprise to me because the last time I made a commitment to exercise, I was already a muscular girl, I was just maintaining - so I never really saw progress.
Now that I'm a pile of mush - it's easier to see progress. There is even some shape coming back!! Oh, and I spotted some shape in my arms - that dip right below my bicep. 4 days.

Now that's incentive!

TRS Accountability: zero - I missed yoga because I worked late, but I suppose I've earned 1 day off exercise.

1 comment:

  1. Of course you have (earned a day off). I agree, I didn't expect to have any immediate results...now I'm excited about what further results I'll see when I've actually exercised more than once!

    ReplyDelete