Saturday, January 17, 2009

Yoga Hair

I suppose it's sort of dull checking in to see - 1 hour yoga - over and over. But that's really the best I can do right now.

It is the ideal way for me to build muscle again since I have to do it slowly due to my medical condition. The stretching is so good for me, and I'm noticing a difference since my chiropractic adjustment. This is me getting myself back into decent condition.

What I noticed today, is that even after a few days of seeing improvement - today I was really weak. I could barely hold any of the poses I'm good at. But then a few of the poses that are hard, were a bit easier today. It's interesting to see the ebb and flow.

My tummy is another focus point. I'm a bit flabby there and it's embarrassing to me.
I've never been good at crunches and such - but at class today a different instructor came up with a new one. There's enough going on that I'm distracted from the basic crunch so I thought I would share it here.

Lying on your back, raise your legs straight in the air. Place a yoga block between your legs right at your pelvic area. (if you don't have a yoga block - block of Styrofoam would do, or something the size of a box of Mac & Cheese or box of baking soda)

Now, with your hands behind your head, elbows out - on an exhale, lift your shoulders off the floor then lift your hips off the floor while squeezing the block. Inhale as you release back to the floor.

Ahhhh? Plenty of distraction. That's good for me!

I also thought I would share my yoga hair.
My hair is long for the first time in years - and a ponytail doesn't work for yoga because I don't like the bump on my head when lying on the floor. So I started with pigtails - but they are long enough that they keep hitting my head or my face on inverted poses.


A modification was in order. Princess Lea Buns! First I make pigtails - then I fold the pigtail back on itself and wrap elastics around it again for little knobby buns.
Maybe they look ridiculous - but they're effective and I think they're sort of cute!
TRS Accountability: Friday... Nada.
Saturday: one hour yoga.

1 comment: